1.2.10

Recent Reads

Reading a few books again, finally--this is something I've decided heck or high water to start doing, work load notwithstanding. I used to read voraciously, but have not recently had the time. Still don't, but whatever. What's the fun of having a bookstore if one can't read the durn things? So. Current reading list:

The Down-Home Zombie Blues,
Clicking,
Death on Demand,
Mind Hunters,
Read-Aloud Handbook,
The Road

Death on Demand was...oh...say a 2 out of four (lion) paws. Mmeh. I love bibliomysteries, so it was already in the plus column there, but it was too easy to figure out, and some of the book shop nittygritty didn't strike me as realistic. I'll be reading the rest of the series, though, so it was fair enough to make that cut.


Trelease's Read-Aloud Handbook is a classic. I pick it up off and on for inspiration when I'm working on the children's section. Literacy and the love of reading has been on my mind recently, hence this book choice.


Sinclair's SciFi zombie romance was recommended to me by a customer. Sorry, whomever you were, but I haven't yet been able to get into this one. I'll give it another chapter or so, though.


Mind Hunters was one I picked up to give to someone else, then after reading a few pages decided to read. It's been okay, I guess. I like some romances, but I can't really get into this one's love story. The action and detective parts are okay, though. One paw.


What else...oh. Clicking. Just barely started this one. Looks interesting.

Finished The Road.  Hm.   I have mixed feelings on this one.  Pretty sure I would have enjoyed it more if I were a man.  Frustrated with some of the choices made by the protagonist, but I suppose they were in keeping with his character.  Not the best post-apocalyptic book I've read, but a very quick read and some great imagery.  2.5 paws up.


Also picked up a Native American cookbook yesterday. It has a recipe for yellow jacket soup. Yes. As in, the bug. Yech.


TTFN.


-S.

No comments: